isnaini_blogtemplate53_00 Broken Spirit: Mmmmm, cake

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Mmmmm, cake

Suzy Q's are my favorite Hostess cake ever and for quite some time, I've wanted to model a regular sized cake after one. I also decided that it should definitely have some sort of chocolate topping (being the chocolate freak that I am) so I chose a simple chocolate glaze. Here is a picture of my first attempt:

Suzy Q inspired cake

These are the recipes I followed. However, when I make this cake again, I'm going to do a little tweaking:

For the cake:

2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 and 2/3 cups sugar
3/4 cup shortening
2/3 cup baking cocoa
1 and 1/2 cups water
1 and 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom and sides of rectangular pan, 13 by 9 by 2 in., or 2 round pans, 9 by 1 1/2 inches, or 3 round pans, 8 by 1 1/2 inches with shortening; lightly flour.

2. Beat all ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan(s).

3. Bake rectangle 40 to 45 minutes, rounds 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool rectangle in pan on wire rack. Cool rounds 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire rack. Cool completely.

For the cream filling:

1 cup milk
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup crisco
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter

1. Mix flour and milk; slow boil until thick, then cool.

2. After cooling, beat with mixer until fluffy, about 10 to 15 minutes.

3. Add remaining ingredients, beating well as you add them individually, one at a time.
Spread filling between cake layers.
*Note: My cream filling began to melt a little as I spread it onto my cake. I recommend putting it in the refrigerator for a few minutes before spreading it onto the cake.

For the chocolate glaze:

3 tablespoons stick margarine or butter
3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
1 cup powdered sugar
3/4 tsp vanilla
About 2 tablespoons hot water

Melt margarine and chocolate in 1-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally; remove from heat. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla. Stir in water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until smooth and spreadable.
*Note: I added about 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream to my glaze to thin it out a little. I found that it was much easier to spread this way. Also, the next time I make this cake, I think I will use semi-sweet baking chocolate instead of the unsweetened kind; I found the taste of the glaze to be a little on the bitter side. Of course, it may just be the kind of chocolate I used, or the fact that I have a raging, impossible-to-please horrendous sweet-tooth. On a final note, this glaze takes on a fudge-like consistency when it hardens. I find it quite delicious, but I realize this may be a little heavy for some, so you could always use basic chocolate frosting, or choose to have no topping at all, like the original Suzy Q. Me, I need the topping.




2 Comments:

Blogger PJ said...

Yummy. Boy now I want chocolate cake. I copied your recipe for further investigation. Sure looks good.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Reverberate58 said...

I am so glad I have a pan of brownies in the kitchen! Girlfriend after viewing this post my chocolate gland kicked in! Looks so yummy!

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home