isnaini_blogtemplate53_00 Broken Spirit: Prayers of a Godly Woman-Day 5

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Prayers of a Godly Woman-Day 5

By Jim Gallery

"I waited patiently, for the LORD; He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD."
Psalm 40:1-3

The accidental death of her husband was devastating to the young mother. She was left with four small children to raise, and the insurance check would not last long. The first day of the rest of her life was long and lonely. She cried out to God for strength, but she felt so terribly weak and vulnerable.

Soon, however, she could voice thanks to God for the friends who had surrounded her with love and helping hands. Then, she found a satisfying job (with on-site childcare). Within a few years, she met a caring man...

God knows our circumstances and hears our cries. He leads us through the darkest days of our lives, and in time, He puts a new song in our hearts. But God's timetable is His own. We must be patient. God is at work.

I do know that waiting on God requires the willingness to bear uncertainty, to carry within oneself the unanswered question, lifting the heart to God about it whenever it intrudes upon one's thoughts. It is easy to talk oneself into a decision that has no permanence, easier sometimes than to wait patiently.
Elisabeth Elliot

Patience is the companion of wisdom.
St. Augustine

To wait upon God is the perfection of activity.
Oswald Chambers

Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.
Psalm 27:14

Today's Prayer
Lord, I always seem to be in a hurry. There seems to be so much to do and so little time. Help me to live on Your timetable, not my own. Give me patience, Lord, and acceptance of Your will and Your way.
Amen

1 Comments:

Blogger PJ said...

I love these posts. When I was younger I was just like that - always too much to do and not enough time. If things got off track and went wrong I would get very upset. I wanted control and I wanted everything to be in its place. I am not like that anymore, but I think of the years I spent not smelling the roses or being Patient and I regret.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home