isnaini_blogtemplate53_00 Broken Spirit: Prayers of a Godly Woman-Day Three

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Prayers of a Godly Woman-Day Three

By Jim Gallery

Help me, Lord to be Joyful

"Though you have not seen Him, you love Him; and even though you do not see Him now, you believe in Him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy..."
1 Peter 1:8

To say that I looked forward to visiting Miss Amelia was something of an understatement. She was an elderly lady living in a small, frame home, and she brought revival and refreshment to my heart every time I was around her. Miss Amelia's eighty years on this earth had taken their toll on her physical body, but the years could never extinguish her joy for living. In fact, she seemed to love life more with each passing day.

When Miss Amelia's health began to fail, and as she spent her final days in the hospital, I observed a remarkable demonstration. She understood that death was near, yet she had no fear. She was utterly and completely prepared to be with her Lord, and she shared her dynamic faith with everyone she met. Even as her strength ebbed, she encouraged those around her. Doctors, nurses, nurse's aides, and visitors all marveled at the joyous spirit of this godly woman. Miss Amelia was indeed "filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy." She loved God and God rewarded her. He will do the same for us, if we let Him.

It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes our happiness.
C. H. Spurgeon

Whence comes this idea that if what we are doing is fun, it can't be God's will? The God who made giraffes, a baby's fingernails, a puppy's tail, a crooknecked squash, the bobwhite's call and a young girl's giggle, has a sense of humor. Make no mistake about that.
Catherine Marshall

Some Christians are too full of the world to enjoy God, and they are too full of God to enjoy the world. They try to get the best of both. They get neither or either.
Peter Marshall

Today's Prayer
Lord, remind me that the joy I will experience today comes from You. Remind me also, Lord, that the circumstances I face this day and any day cannot rob me of a sense of celebration and joy...unless I allow it. Thank You for the blessings You have given me. May I be a joyous blessing to others, and may I give all the praise to You.
Amen

2 Comments:

Blogger PJ said...

I loved your post today. I always feel good after reading your stories and prayers. Thanks.

6:58 AM  
Blogger eph2810 said...

Oh, Stacey, I truly enjoy this series you are posting. Is this a Bible study or a book?

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home