isnaini_blogtemplate53_00 Broken Spirit: Tragic

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Tragic

This morning, I read a story in the newspaper that horrified me.
A married couple locked their three-year old foster child in a closet for two days while they attended a family reunion on August 4th. The couple reported the boy missing on August 15th, and pleaded for help at a press conference, but police believe that the child was dead when they arrived home from the reunion; I suppose the missing persons report and pleas for help were a sham, a diversion to throw police off. Police suspect that the father burned the child's body to get rid of the evidence.
I am just sickened by this. I can't even imagine what it must have been like for that poor child; the horror of being locked in a small space, in the dark, all alone with no food and water for two whole days. What makes the situation even more tragic is that the little boy was developmentally disabled, and had the mental capacity of a 12 to 18 month old. I just do not understand the purpose and the reasoning behind locking your child in a closet. It's completely insane. Were the parents ashamed of him because of his mentality, and afraid of what their family would say about him at the reunion? Was he a "problem child" that they just didn't feel like tolerating during the long road trip to another state? I can't fathom what the thought processes of these people could have been. How can two people, who are supposed to be providing this child with a loving, stable environment, come to such a monstrous decision? I shudder to think of the possibility that the child could have been dead before they left, and was stashed in the closet until they had time to think about how to dispose of him. Either way, it's a tragedy that I won't soon forget.
My daughter Emma is three, so this story hit me with an especially nasty impact. Whenever I hear of a story such as this(especially when it involves children close to my own kids' ages) it makes me want to hold my children tight and never let them go.
I just can't comprehend how anyone could be cruel in any form to a child; I know that it is a Christian's duty to forgive and forget, and leave judgement and punishment to God, but I have great difficulty restraining my anger towards people who hurt children. I thank God that He is sovereign, that His ways are not our ways, and that it's not up to me to judge and dole out punishment to these people. I have faith that the situation will be worked out according to His will.
I pray that these parents will repent and turn to God; His forgiveness is vast and neverending.
It is also my hope and prayer that the other children in the household are taken into consideration and placed elsewhere for their safety, and that justice will be done.

4 Comments:

Blogger PJ said...

It is so scarey who they let be foster parents anymore. I used to be one and I met others who had no business taking care of any child. I know they were doing it to get money from the state for the child. They didn't care about the welfare of the child. They never spent much time with the child, read to him/her, take them places of educational value or even took them out to eat. Most of them would get something off the dollar menu at MacDonalds. It is a sad thing. Our state is cleaning it up now because of a couple of kids that died under bad conditions in foster care, but they still have a long way to go.

3:47 AM  
Blogger SunshineBlues said...

Tragic just so very sad!

1:44 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

I had not heard about this, but like you, I think of my own children when I hear stories like this. People are sick and I wonder why God lets these things go on. There is supposed to be a reason for everything, but I have never seen any good come out of children or babies being allowed to die in horrific ways.

I stopped watching the news and reading the newspaper for a long time when Ashley was younger. I just couldn’t handle the pain. I would go to bed and cry myself to sleep and there just came a point when I couldn’t handle it anymore.

Another thing, I don’t think it’s right that people put ads in the newspaper under the EMPLOYMENT section saying that you can earn money for being a foster parent. This sends the wrong message and I would think it would only attract people who have money in mind.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

Oh, this just makes me sick to my stomach. Unbelievable! Uncomprehendable! Bless his heart. What a terrible way to die... in fear.
And I just stopped by to tell you I posted my "weird" tag. Seems meaningless now.
I just don't have the words...

1:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home